Saturday, July 25, 2009

Bokura ga Ita


Bokura ga Ita has one of the best dramatic story lines I've seen among the shoujo genre. The conversations between the characters and their inner thoughts are a great combination to make the story line unfold naturally. The characters are extremely well developed and realistic. I think they are a bit too realistic for the high school theme and the drama part is a bit too mature, but nevertheless, it is still very enjoyable.

Perhaps I am biased when it comes to these types of stories, but I usually do not like the female characters in them. And I wasn't very impressed with the character of Takahashi. She is too needy, clingy, and insecure. But as the story develops, I get to understand her flaws more and I actually sympathize with her, because she is trying to deal with Yano's past and his emotional baggage. Their romance is a bit of a cliche, where a clumsy and awkward girl falls in love with a popular guy, but the story of his past brings new twist to it.

Takeuchi is my favorite character. But I feel like his presence is generally irrelevant to the entire series. The writers attempted to created a love triangle, but it never really became one. I wish his relationship with Takahashi would've been more complex. Since the series took on a more serious and lifelike approach, I think it would've been better for Takahashi to stay with him at the end. Yano is too complex of a character and as Take said, a relationship that is full of emotional hardships needs to be ended. And that is how I felt about Yano and Nana. If feels that no matter how much that tried, they never really meant to be together.

The ending itself leaves a lot to the imagination. Almost every character's future is unclear. I wish there would've been more closure and certainty. But perhaps, there will be a sequel to clarify all of that. At least I hope for one.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers